Pages

Sunday, May 17, 2015

Imagine

Our imaginations are incredible and they come with us everywhere! If we would only use them just a little bit more, our lives could be so fulfilled. Not only are they a great resource for entertainment, they can also teach us a lot about ourselves. I always think it's so sad the things we seem to lose between childhood and adulthood. Life would be way easier if we could keep this knowledge with us. Many of my favorite childhood imaginings came from books, but really, the book was just inspiration for something I already knew about myself. One of my childhood daydreams was inspired from a particular book by Dr. Seuss:


The book is about a young boy who uses HIS imagination to create something exciting to have seen on his way home from school, and actually, I don't even like this particular story much. Never have. But I did like one small part in the illustrations. Let's take this page:


Now this illustration comes toward the end of the book, and there is a LOT going on in it. It is truly a bit of a wild and crazy scene. Can anyone see me as the kind of person who would look at this page, and find a place I would want to live? No? What if I told you I always zoomed in on this particular cheerful man:


Still no? What if I told you I paired that man and his humble home with this scene here:


Ah ha. Now you're following me, huh? I would spend hours fantasizing about living in that mans tiny little house, attached to a vehicle that plodded through the country side. I pictured hours and hours of sunshine and singing birds. Of ending each of my days with a new sunset in a new frame. Of snuggling on my bed in my clean, neat home, reading a book, lulled by the sound of the tires meandering along on a rainy day. I imagined a fireplace (he has a chimney after all). I imagined my time alone, And yet, with a new town to explore all the time, and new experiences to be had, I wouldn't get lonely. Besides, I would always be on my way home, no matter which direction I was headed, and on top of that, I would always be home. I would always have my favorite, comfortable items to turn to in times of need. And really, my dream hasn't changed a whole lot. I'm just, finally, getting back in touch with it. Remember my dream about the house boat? Doesn't that sound so similar to this childhood dream I had? And barring that, I really want to get to small house living. To humble beginnings, but with so much space outdoors to explore and discover new things each day. I am in love with my familiar, comfortable things. But I don't need much (or so I like to think). And yet, I love discoveries and new experiences. I am re-learning these things about myself, and at the same time, I am discovering a peace with myself that I never knew I had lost.

Have you rediscovered anything about yourself today? What's one of your favorite daydreams?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...